About the Company
It is very essential to have knowledge about the company that one appears for an interview. This knowledge will help an individual to create a strong and good impression in the mind of the interviewer and thus be able to bag the job.
What kind of information about the company should be gathered before appearing for an interview?
- To have knowledge on its established year, place and also the founder.
- The products/ services the company deal with.
- The spread of the company. (Nationally/ Internationally)
- The current management details, that is, CEO, CFO etc.
- Their target customers.
- Their vision or motto.
- Their social contributions.
- Their recent ventures/ projects for which they are on news.
- Their competitors.
- The factor that makes them unique or special among the rest in the same industry.
Lets take an example for the same
The Company is HDFC Bank and below are some of the key details about the company:
- HDFC- i.e., The Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited was incorporated in August 1994 in the name of ‘HDFC Bank Limited’ with its registered office in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Hasmukhbhai Parekh is the first CEO of HDFC Bank.
- At present Sashidhar Jagdishan is the CEO and Managing Director, Abhay Aima, Jimmi Tata, Santosh Haldankar etc are the key people.
- Its first corporate office and a full-service branch is at Sandoz House, Worliwere inaugurated by the former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
- HDFC has developed significant expertise in retail mortgage loans to different market segments and also has a large corporate client base for its housing related credit facilities. With its experience in the financial markets, strong market reputation, large shareholder base and unique consumer franchise, HDFC was ideally positioned to promote a bank in the Indian environment.
- HDFC Bank provides a number of products and services including wholesale banking, retail banking, treasury, auto loans, two-wheeler loans, personal loans, loans against property, consumer durable loan, lifestyle loan and credit cards. Along with this, various digital products are Payzapp and SmartBUY.
- The bank has two subsidiary companies namely HDFC Securities Ltd and HDB Financial Services Ltd. The bank has three primary business segments namely banking, wholesale banking and treasury.
- HDFC Bank merged with Times Bank in February 2000. This was the first merger of two private banks in the New Generation private sector banks
- In 2008, Centurion Bank of Punjab (CBoP) was acquired by HDFC Bank. HDFC Bank’s board approved the acquisition of CBoP for ₹95.1 billion in one of the largest mergers in the financial sector in India.
- In March 2020, HDFC (parent company of HDFC BANK) made an investment of ₹1,000 crores in Yes bank. As per the scheme of reconstruction of Yes Bank, 75% of the total investment by the corporation would be locked in for three years. On 14 March, Yes Bank allotted 100 crore shares of the face value of ₹2 each for consideration of ₹10 per share (including ₹8 premium) to the Corporation aggregating to 7.97 per cent of the post issue equity share capital of Yes bank.
- HDFC Bank was the leading Indian private bank based on market capitalization of over 5.8 trillion Indian rupees as of August 2020.
- As of September 30, 2020, the Bank had a nationwide distribution network 5,430 branches and 15,292 ATMs in 2,848 cities/towns.
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited (HDFC) was amongst the first to receive an ‘in principle’ approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a bank in the private sector, as part of RBI’s liberalisation of the Indian Banking Industry in 1994. HDFC Bank commenced operations as a Scheduled Commercial Bank in January 1995
- HDFC is India’s premier housing finance company and enjoys an impeccable track record in India as well as in international markets. Since its inception in 1977, the Corporation has maintained a consistent and healthy growth in its operations to remain the market leader in mortgages. Its outstanding loan portfolio covers well over a million dwelling units.
Thus, this is how you can prepare before appearing for an interview and facing their most common question “What do you know about our company?”